These cookies are one of the nutritious treats we frequently enjoy at our house. I was surprised to find something that was gluten-free, flourless, butterless, eggless and made with no added sugars could be so good. Friends and family frequently request these cookies at tailgates, potlucks and other events. I highly suggest you keep these ingredients on hand to whip up a batch whenever your sweet tooth hits!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Run almonds through the food processor if you can't find any almond meal. I purchase mine in bulk from our local health food store. Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
- About 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (from about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed slightly, or olive oil
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Put the oven rack in the top third.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, mix together the oats, almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Fold in the chocolate.
- Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with canola oil.
- Bake about 14 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire cooling rack.